Hello ‘shabbilicious’ friends,
We all know that the heart shape is recognised the world over as a symbol of love, which makes these little folded paper hearts perfect for Valentine’s Day.
Imagine what you could do with them….
Attach them to a card or tag, chocolates or flowers. Decorate with them, make a garland of folded hearts or perhaps hide them for others to find for a sweet Valentine surprise.
[PIN for later]
The paper hearts can be made using any colour paper.
I’ve used a collection of pink papers for a shabby theme, but if red is your preference for Valentine’s Day, simply use red papers.
How to make Paper Hearts
1. I used A4 copy paper to make my hearts. If you are in the US, you can use letter size paper.
You can either use coloured paper or as I did, print digital paper designs onto your copy paper.
2. The 3 heart sizes I made were:
large – A4 size paper, makes 1 heart.
medium – A5 size paper (A4 sheet folded in half to make 2 x A5 sheets), A4 sheet makes 2 hearts.
small – A6 size paper (A5 sheet folded in half to make 2 x A6 sheets), A4 sheet makes 4 hearts.
- Fold your sheet of paper in half and using something round like a plate or as I did, a roll of tape, trace a round edge at the top of the paper opposite the folded edge. Cut around this outline, ensuring you cut through both layers.
- 3 & 4. Unfold the paper, You should now have a piece of paper that is almost oval in shape. These rounded ends will form the top of the heart once folded.
5. Fold the paper in a concertina, being sure to keep the edges of the folds crisp.
6. Fold the concertina strip in half, so that the round ends meet.
7. Using a glue stick, apply glue to the concertina edges that meet in the middle and join together (you may need a clip or peg to hold closed while drying). Once dry, open out the top of the heart, while keeping the base pointed. You now have a heart shape.
As you’ll see, these paper hearts are incredibly quick to make and would even be a great project for the kids to make.
How would you use a folded paper heart?
I’m going to include mine as decoration on a platter of cakes for Valentine’s Day, as well as tucking them into vignettes around our home this weekend.
[PIN for later]
Happy crafting my friends!
I’d love for you to connect with me at:
Get instant access to the free printables in our Member’s Only
library by joining my email newsletter subscriber’s list.
I send out two newsletters a month with updates on all things
‘shabbilicious’ at Shabby Art Boutique.
Follow on Bloglovin or join our Facebook group Simply Shabbilicious.
I love the hearts and your display! So pretty!
So glad you like them Ann. The hearts have so many possible uses and not only for Valentine’s Day.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne
Kathy A says
I think would loan themselves to being made into garlands and mobiles so nicely. Thank you!
A garland does sound lovely Kathy. I hope you’ll share it with us if you make one 🙂
Good Morning Kerryanne,
Thank you so very much for your email and the beautiful printables you sent, I love them! I’m so happy that Australia is finally getting some much needed rain to help with the fires too!
Have a Blessed Day,
These hearts are just topo awesome and I have a perfect place to drop off a few. Thanks Kerryanne..:)
These hearts are just awesome, and I have a perfect place to drop a few off at.
Thanks Kerryanne.. 🙂
Your paper hearts are so pretty! I love the paper you chose to make them with. They would make a pretty garland for Valentine’s Day.
I love paper craft projects! The accordion look of these is so fun, and they look so easy to make!
Merci pour ce tutoriel. Je vais pouvoir faire des cœurs pour mettre sur des cartes. Je ne savais pas comment faire ces cœurs et grâce à vous , je vois que c’est très facile. Merci. Bonne journée. Bien amicaalement.
So glad you have found the tutorial useful 🙂
Leota Lagerwey says
Love all your beautiful crafting. These hearts are so adorable. Can’t wait to make some.
Thank you for sharing them with all of us “crafter want a bee’s! 🙂